8.12.2009

8/10 - 8/12


The training hours are really starting to get up there this week. It will be interesting to see how my body feels the next few days.

Monday started off with a 30 min interval run. I ran 30 second building sprints every 2 minutes after a five minute warm up. I felt good and rested Monday morning. After work I went to the pool at 6pm (the summer hours have ended) and was surprised that is wasn't very crowded. My swimming volumes really starts to increase this week and today I swam 49 minutes and covered 2,500 yards total. The workout started with a 400 yd warm up, then my main set consisted of sets of 100, 200, 300, 400, 400, 300, 200, 100 resting ~15 sec between sets, then a 100 yd cool down. I felt strong and fast during the swim and my swim confidence is starting to increase again.

Tuesday was a bike only day. I woke up early had a banana and was out the door before 5am. It was dark almost the entire ride, which I did not like. I need some more lights or reflective gear cause I didn't feel very safe. I rode 17 miles in 26:23 for a 18.09 mph average. During this ride I tried to add in some intervals as my bike fitness is starting to plateau. My HR stayed pretty low, so I guess I am not pushing it hard enough. Maybe Thursday's ride I will pay more attention to my HR.

Wednesday morning was my tempo run. I started off with 15 min easy, then 30 min hard, and 15 easy. I felt very sluggish today and my legs were a little sore. I still was able to cover 7 miles in 58:26, so my pace was still good. After the run I sat in a cold bath to try and help speed my recovery. During lunch I went to the pool for a swim. I like going to the pool in the middle of the day because no one is ever there. After a 400 yd warm up I completed my main set of 10 x 200 yds on 3:45 intervals. I consistently had 30 sec of rest after each 200 which means my pace was about 1:37 / 100 yds. I hope I can transfer this speed into the open water. After my main set I did 4 - 25 yd sprints, then 200 cool down. for total distance of 2700 yds. I am tempted to do a 1000 yrd time trial Friday to see how much I have improved since my last one on July 5th (19:38).

1 comment:

  1. D, you're making some strides! You just need a tiny grinch heart like me to make your HR crazy! :-D

    Sorry you couldn't bike this AM because of the storm. But don't fret about it. You have all day friday off from work, and all day Monday off from work too. This 4 day weekend you can get some fitness in, and even double up and make it a 2-aday to get in what you couldn't.

    XOXO!
    6.5 more weeks, 10.5 more weeks, and 22.5 more weeks! (Don't let the 22.5 more weeks intimidate you. It doesn't intimidate me! 22.5 weeks before the Go! was 2 weeks before Thanksgiving... if that helps put things into perspective. All I'm doing, is just building a strong base. You are building an even stronger base w/ your Tri training!)

    GO DEREK GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete